About the Artist
Timja Femling (b. 1983) grew up in Krokstrand by the Iddefjord, on the Swedish west coast, later on in Karlskrona on the east coast.
I am living and working in Malmoe, Sweden, with my studio located at Flöjen, an artist collective situated in the industrial area Norra Sorgenfri.
Take a look at this video about me and my work.
Latest! You can also listen to me when I talk about my art in Konst i Blekinge-podden!
4th of December 2017 – I’m very happy to say that I just received a grant from Karlskrona kommun, thank you for supporting me! Take a look in the daily newspaper here Blekinge Läns Tidning and also in Sydöstran.
I received Move Passhionship earlier this year and here’s a video about Move Passionship and what it is all about.
About my Work
For me, color is crucial. There was a time when I didn’t feel comfortable using color, but that time has past and now color equals where my inspiration begins.
To find the absolute breaking point.
What you can manage to squeeze into a limited area and where the vibrating meeting between equally strong colors become almost physically tangible. Patterns, shapes, and colors communicating nothing and everything.
The most important thing always is for me to feel passionately for what I do. To be able to flee into my own world and there be fully absorbed by that which is not the reality.
I’ve always been interested in that which is not obviously appealing to the eye, I often find the disturbing very amusing. Like the blotchy appearance of a Hawaii shirt, or maybe the meeting between signal red and grass green.
Forms and shapes in nature have also been a great source of inspiration, not always in the way it actually appears maybe more in the way you imagine or dream of it, like the illusion of a paradise out of reach.
Exhibitions and Other Projects
Here are my current and upcoming exhibitions as well as exhibitions and other projects that I have been part of in the past. I am currently planning for late fall 2017 and 2018, so get in touch.
- Upcoming, Karlskrona Konsthall (group exhibition)
- ! The Tutti Frutti Paintings (Part Two) On Summer Vacay !, Kv Kvarnen, Höganäs/Sweden (solo exhibition)
- Publication, Little Finger, Art magazine
- Move Passionship, Grant
- The City of Malmoe, Studio Grant
- I Heart See You Spirit, Varbergs lasarett, Varberg/Sweden (solo exhibition)
- Oh My! The Tutti Frutti Head! Makeriet, Malmoe/Sweden (solo exhibition)
- Ekva(tio)n, Galleri CC, Malmoe/Sweden (group exhibition)
- I Play Color Wild, Candyland, Stockholm/Sweden (solo exhibition)
- Artist in Residence, Red Gate Gallery, Beijing/China
- Helge Ax:son Johnsons stiftelse, Travel Grant
- The Department of Cultural Grants the City of Malmoe
- The City of Malmoe, Studio Grant
- Gislaveds konsthall, Gislaved/Sweden
- CC Winter Special, CirkulationsCentralen, Malmoe/Sweden
- Limited ECHOES, Studio 44, Stockholm/Sweden
- Flickan och havssköldpaddan, props for scenography, Teater Albatross, Tokalynga/Sweden (Awarded Best Set Design at the Smolensk Theatre Biennial in Russia 2014)
- Höstsalongen, Skånes konstförening, Malmoe/Sweden
- CC Sommarupplaga, CirkulationsCentralen, Malmoe/Sweden
- Text, Papi, literary magazine
- Text, S:t Största skarabéerboken by Stefan Hammarén, H:ström text och kultur
- Tunnel Vision, Dunk, Copenhagen/Denmark
- Beyond the Sea, scenography, Theatre du Chocolat, Yaoundé/Cameroon
- Kongo, scenography/sculpture, Teater Albatross, Toklaynga/Sweden
- Novel, Desynkroniseringens Amalgam, H:ström text och kultur